Who can use the tool?
The EU Eco-Management and Audit Scheme (EMAS) can be used by companies and other organisations worldwide as a tool to monitor and improve their environmental performance.
How does the tool work?
Four key stages to complete and achieve EMAS registration:
1. Environmental review – identifying significant environmental aspects and applicable environmental law
2. Environmental management system – assigning responsibilities and establishing procedures and structures
3. Environmental audit – assessing the current management system and environmental policy
4. Environmental statement – produced to depict organisation’s environmental management system and environmental performance results.
Key elements of EMAS:
1. Performance – commitment to continuous improvement of the environmental performance
2. Credibility – verification by independent environmental verifiers and registration in official register
3. Transparency – environmental results provided to the public through a validated environmental statement
Staff involvement is an integral part of EMAS implementation and the achievement of environmental performance improvements. In addition to internal stakeholders, EMAS can be a useful tool for involving external stakeholders (e.g. suppliers, local community), in the organisation’s commitment to continuously improving its environmental performance.
EMAS and ISO 14001
The ISO 14001 Environmental Management System requirements are an integral part of EMAS. However, EMAS takes into account additional elements such as employee involvement or external communication through an environmental statement to support organisations in continually and significantly improving their environmental performance.
An EMAS Award is the most prestigious award in environmental management. It is handed out on a yearly basis since 2005 only to top performing companies and public authorities.
For further information on EMAS: http://ec.europa.eu/environment/emas/index_en.htm
EMAS on Facebook: http://on.fb.me/nDq7x4
For further information on the EMAS Awards: